Sunday, January 28, 2007

Kerr

January 24, 2007


Affordable Housing Action Alliance
14 Wet Gilman Street, #1
Madison, WI 53703

Dear Affordable Housing Action Alliance:

Thank you very much for sending me your questionnaire asking for my opinion on important affordable housing issues in Madison.

I have thought quite a bit about the questions and want to simply write and let you know about my affordable housing priorities. I am also attaching my resume in the event that it is helpful in any way.

I am a member of the City of Madison’s Housing Committee and spent much of my career developing affordable housing in Chicago before moving to Madison four years ago with my family.

First, our elected officials and senior staff members need to take the lead in advancing a comprehensive and realistic plan to increase available housing for those earning between 0-120% of AMI. At the lower end of the income spectrum, the focus would be on increasing housing choices and preventing homelessness perhaps through the construction of single room-occupancy (SRO) developments with associated social services. At the other end of the income scale, the focus could be on encouraging affordable homeownership with programs such as inclusionary zoning, which I strongly support. The plan should identify specific and achievable goals, timelines, and funding mechanisms.

Second, I hope that city officials might focus on starting and supporting community development corporations (CDC) like Madison’s own Commonwealth Development Corporation, which have been extremely effective in building affordable housing.
Having worked really hard for many years to build affordable housing, I believe that such corporations with their ability to use low-income housing tax credits and other financing


Labor donated ▪ Printed in house
Friends of Julia Kerr ▪ 1922 Vilas Avenue, Madison WI 53711
www.juliaformadison.com ▪ 608-260-0046


Affordable Housing Action Alliance
January 24, 2007
Page Two



sources are one of the best vehicles to get affordable housing units built. I have also been a strong proponent of a West Side Planning Council with the hope that the target area would include the Allied Drive neighborhood and that the council could serve as an incubator for a CDC.

Finally, if I am lucky enough to be elected, a major priority of mine would be the city’s Community Development Authority (CDA), which has several properties in the 13th District. The CDA is an important housing provider for Madison’s very low-income residents. It is my understanding that Madison has not built a new unit of affordable housing since 1989. I would hope that city leaders would make construction of new units a greater priority in coming years.

Given that affordable housing has been a major focus of my career, I would be happy to sit down with you and talk about how I might approach the various aspects of this important and complex issue if elected. Please do not hesitate to call or email me with any questions.

Thank you again for your interest in my campaign.

Sincerely yours,



Julia S. Kerr, Candidate
Madison City Council